FIC has helped hundreds of clients successfully build and grow their businesses over the years. We pride ourselves on being supportive and knowledgeable mentors. We offer a wide range of fee-based services, and have worked with many different types of clients, including early-stage food entrepreneurs and established food companies, both domestic and international.
If you’re interested in working with us, you can begin the process by filling out our online application.
Before taking on new clients, we strive to ensure the client’s needs align with the capabilities of FIC. If so, we develop a customized approach based on the needs and objectives of the client. If after reviewing your application, we think FIC might be a good fit for you, we’ll contact you and ask you to present an application deck.
- Client must agree to business and technical mentoring (this includes an initial product / process review, bench scale testing, prototyping, and food safety assessment by FIC staff).
- Client must be willing and able to meet all applicable requirements of the FDA or USDA and FIC policies and procedures regarding safe production of food while in our facility.
- Client must complete all paperwork required for documenting traceability of all ingredients and packaging materials through finished product prior to leaving the facility on any production date or removing product from our premises.
- Client must possess liability insurance prior to food or beverage production.
- Client must complete our free Food Safety Training, pass a 20-question exam on Food Safety, and acknowledge receipt of GMP and Adverse Health policies prior to food or beverage production.
- Please note that the Food Innovation Center at Rutgers University adheres to the standards and requirements set forth by local, state and federal agencies for food safety and quality. All products manufactured in the Center must meet these standards.
FIC Client Policies
Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. Production hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Additional hours may be discussed as necessary.
Clients are invoiced for Business & Technical Mentoring services at the beginning of the month and for food processing services at the conclusion of each individual production run. Invoice must be paid in full before any product is removed from the Center.
Facility Use Agreement
Each tenant will be required to sign a standard Facility Use Agreement with the Food Innovation Center at Rutgers which defines obligations of both the tenant and the Center’s management, regarding space and its modifications, services, and equipment to be provided and cost for same.
Ingredients for Production
Clients must have their ingredients delivered and accounted for one week prior to their production date. FIC reserves the right to reschedule the production date if this requirement is not met.